Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies – delicious?! You bet!
So, I was craving cookies. Like real, delicious cookies. I usually stay in the realm of RAW desserts because they’re easy and I’m good at making them. BUT I WANTED A DANG COOKIE! Being dairy-free and gluten-free because of intolerances and cutting out refined sugar all together, you can imagine how I feel sometimes when I see baked goods. I actually love to bake, but now everything I bake – I pretty much can’t eat! I tried this recipe last night from Against All Grain and I just have to share it! They came out soft and delicious. I still want to try out a few other gluten-free cookies recipes, but for someone who has not been able to have a real cookie for a long time, I am so happy to be trying and succeeding at baking! I’ll copy and past the recipe from Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain website for you below.
Serves approx. 1 dozen. Pre-heat to 350 degrees. Prep time: 15 minutes. Bake 9-12 minutes.
- ¼ cup palm shortening, ghee, or grass-fed butter
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate pieces (just chop up a dark chocolate bar)
- ¼ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, cream the palm shortening, coconut sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla for about 15 seconds until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and sea salt and mix again until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed in order to incorporate all of the flour. Pulse once or twice more.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Place golf-ball sized balls of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a SilPat. Using another sheet of parchment on top of the dough, flatten them slightly with the palm or your hand or a spatula. The cookies don’t spread much so create the size and thickness you want prior to baking them.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges.
My own notes on this recipe:
- I used 1/2 cup of dark chocolate pieces instead of mixing them with the Enjoy Life chocolate chips. You can use dark chocolate chunks, chips, or break up a bar.
- Use aluminum-free baking soda. Red Mills Natural Brand sells it in a bag.
- Ghee butter is grass-fed butter that has all the good fats and none of the bad stuff from butter in it. It should be your cupboard. I put it in my cup of organic coffee every morning with coconut oil and vanilla mixed for 30 seconds in a blender (look up ‘Bulletproof Coffee’).
- You can make your own almond flour with the leftover almond meal from making almond milk. It’s super easy and you don’t waste any of your almond when making milk.
- I didn’t use a food processor – I instead used my high-speed hand mixer. It worked great.
- I used local unprocessed honey (and I mean LOCAL – my friend has bees). Since using strictly local honey, I notice a difference in my baked goods and RAW desserts.