Gluten-Free Oat Waffles … or try them as pancakes!
Gluten-free waffles? This was one awesome and sweet (literally) accident! My other half loves waffles. I mean, loves them. For his birthday last year, I bought him a waffle maker and he was ridiculously happy. So, given all the dietary and eating lifestyle changes I’ve had to make, I decided to make him waffles over the weekend as a surprise. I wanted some too, so I was trying to make some changes that meant I could eat them too (no dairy, no gluten, borderline vegan is where these ended up). I looked at the waffle recipe I had been using forever and couldn’t believe that I could substitute everything to make my own awesome, gluten-free, sweet, crunchy, delicious recipe that believe it or not – was boyfriend approved! Yippee!
- 2 Cups Oat Flour (if you want crunchier waffles and want to cook with it – do 1 1/2 cups oat flour and 1/2 cup cornstarch)
- 1 3/4 cup Almond Milk (if you’re not dairy free, feel free to use regular milk)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated (you need the whites and the yolks to make perfect waffles)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (I use coconut spread)
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks and milk together. Set aside.
- Use hand mixer to mix egg whites until they form soft tips. Add sugar and continue mixing until they form hard tips.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Mix until just blended and slightly lumpy.
- Add in melted vegan butter and mix until blended.
- Fold egg whites into mixture. Egg whites are what give waffles the that nice fluffy texture on the inside – its my favorite part!
- Add 1/4 cup of mix (or to your liking) to the heated waffle maker until golden. I use vegan butter to “grease” the waffle maker first and between waffles as needed.
The almond milk, coconut spread and coconut sugar make these waffles extra delicious and sweet. Top with organic maple syrup, agave, honey, fresh fruit, nuts or whatever else you like! Eat away – guilt and gluten free!
Hey! Try this recipe as pancakes!